White label products and services (also known as private label) are those provided by one organization for offer under another organization's brand. You've seen white label products in your favorite grocery store (plain wrap), in clothing stores (re-branded versions of famous designer brands) and online (software, platforms & more).
For example Watershed is the private label version of Ustream's live, interactive video broadcasting platform that is used by organizations such as Duke University, Sun and Disney, allowing users to host live video events for their own online communities.
Many businesses are attracted to white label services. By signing a white label licensing deal, a business can market a new service as their own without having to build it -- or take on the risk -- themselves.
White Label Marketing: Key Benefits to the Licensee
- Develop and reinforce awareness and recall of your brand
- Generates brand loyalty
- Build and maintain an online community
- Capture audience data
- Increase traffic to your website
- Provide a unique and effective way of building a relationship with your audience
- Creates an association with popular mainstream events such as Sport.
White Label Marketing: 19 Elements of Successful Service
If you're a successful company with a product or service you feel might work well as a white label offering, here are some inside tips on how to white label like the best of them:
1. Typically offered by a platform that's already popular
2. Easy to explain in a pitch
3. Impressive technical specifications and/or usage stats
4. Clear business benefits
5. Fast client set up via a templates, guided help, or turnkey
6. Custom branding - show all areas where a brand can appear
7. Ease of use for the end user customer
8. Clients already using the platform / use cases / case studies
9. Affordable, easy to understand pricing structure
10. Multi-platform support (web, mobile, Facebook, etc)
11. Fully managed and hosted by platform provider
12. Dedicated account manager to maximize client results
13. English language customer service at no additional cost
14. Ability to communicate to users via email and account alerts
15. Technical support around the clock
16. Real time reporting with client account log in
17. Fully branded customization
18. Multi-lingual versions
19. Cost per user pricing model